Thursday, March 19, 2009

Calvin Robert















Well this time I have a decent excuse for taking so long to update our blog!  As most of you probably know by now, our baby was born right on his due date, February 12, 2009!  It seems incredible to think that was five weeks ago!  He weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces and was 21 inches long, and is the spitting image of his daddy (with his mommy's chin, poor thing).  We named him Calvin Robert Owens.  We chose the name Calvin somewhat because of John Calvin, somewhat because of Calvin Coolidge, and somewhat because we just liked the name!  Robert is Todd's middle name and Todd's dad's first name, and I think we like the idea of sticking with family names for all our children's middle names.

Calvin is such a blessing from God and has brought us so much joy!  The first few weeks already seem like a blur, but the one thing that will always stand out in my mind was how immediately and intensely I loved this little baby.  I just knew the instant I held him that I would always love him and would do anything to protect him from harm and from all the evil in the world.  I will never be able to love him perfectly, but now that I'm a mom I feel like I have a better understanding of God's love for His children.  It is overwhelming sometimes thinking about what an important task it will be for Todd and me to raise Calvin, but at the same time it's reassuring to know that God entrusted him to us for a reason.  And we will pray every day for the grace and wisdom we so desperately need!

Calvin started smiling back at us a few days ago and is quite the little showboat!














He likes to stick out his tongue too.  :)














We have so many pictures of Calvin, it's hard to decide which ones to post!  If you'd like to see more, please click the link to our photo albums on the right and you'll see a new album with some pictures of Calvin's first few days.

3 comments:

Todd said...

What a handsom little gentleman!

voranclan said...

He is precious! We're so happy for you guys! Congratulations!

Audrey said...

Yay for another post! I was hoping you would write again, even though I know life has gotten a whole lot fuller for you recently! :) I'm so glad to hear of your joy and what you're learning about God through this new gift of parenthood that He's given you. I can't wait to see you again, and hold Calvin!